Monday, September 22, 2008

Languages useful in L2

Have you ever wished you understood what all these people say?

Those people speaking russian (sps? tut?), chinese (mmm i dont know of any examples), portuguese (q tal?) - seeming 'all greek' ('ela mlka') to you?

I soooo much wish I knew russian! And (thank god) I have studied french at school. And I had a spanish boyfriend, so I know the basic expressions. Still, it is not enough.

Please mail me all words (or "words" or expressions) you find useful in L2, no matter the language. We can compile a tiny dictionary :)

Make sure to vote at the current poll, checking all answers that apply!

Update 23/9/2008: Submissions so far are da/niet, spasibo, quoi, salut, xaxa, kak (not mentioning the english words)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Salam: Peace in Arabic
Salam alekoum: Peace on your path (a.k.a: Peace brother)
Shalom: Peace in Hebrew
La: No in Arabic
Lo: No in Hebrew
Aiwa: Yes in Arabic
Ken: Yes in Hebrew

Sabah al-her: Morning of goodness (a.k.a. good morning) in Arabic
Sabah al-nour: Morning of light (a.k.a.: morning to you too)

Anonymous said...

Nasdravie: I'll drink to that in Bulgarian, Russian too perhaps

Anonymous said...

Yesterday night, at Teon hero chat:

- What was this word he [the greek hero] spammed after the win?

- xaxa?

- and kalva

- stoi kalva!!!!!!